Wiper Blades FAQ'S
How do I fit my wipers?
Fitting wiper blades are in the most part very straight forward. We have a video demonstration for standard wiper blades that have the hook arm system. For those cars with a different clip/arm set up, we recommend you refer to the vehicle handbook. If you are still struggling, please contact us and we will be more than happy to advise how to fit them.
2. What is a spoiler on a wiper blade for?
A spoiler on a wiper blade is a raised area of the blade (usually only on the driver's side) that helps the wiper blade maintain a better contact to the windscreen at higher speeds. By having this, the wiper blade will clear the screen a lot better and leave fewer streaks. Flat beam/Aerotwin blades will all have spoilers built into them.
3. What are flat beam/Aerotwin blades?
The flat beam/Aerotwin wiper blades maximise wiping quality, have a much longer life and produce much less noise than traditional blades. Instead of the rubber blade being encased in a metal housing and held in with small metal claws the flat beam type consists of one continuous piece of rubber with an integrated spoiler. Two spring-loaded rails distribute the pressure to the blade evenly over the entire length of the blade and this results in over 1000 points of contact over the blade instead of 4-8 contacts on a conventional type. The flat design improves the aerodynamics of the wiper blade and reduces wind noise significantly. Another effect is that it improves vision during wiping making them the best choice for upgrade blades and this is why most new vehicles are now fitted this type of technology as standard.
4. When do I need to replace my windscreen wipers?
The recommendation is once a year however this does depend on many other factors. Extreme weather conditions like snow/hard frost or very hot and sunny day's can cause the blades to diminish quicker than normal. Tree sap and car washes can also have an impact on the life span. The best way is to replace them when they stop performing as they should i.e. Leaving streaks, juddering or if they are noisy.
5. Why are my blades noisy/juddery?
This is an indication that the blades need to be replaced or cleaned. We would suggest cleaning the blade first and if this doesn't work then to replace them. If you have installed new flat beam/Aerotwin blades and they are noisy or juddery it may be due to the blades not sitting correctly on the screen. By bending them back on themselves you should find this solves your problem as it reduces the curve of the blade meaning they will sit more flush to the screen.
6. Why are my wipers not clearing the screen properly?
- Dirty wipers will not clear the screen and small pieces of dust and grit can affect performance. You should clean the windscreen and blades to eliminate this.
- The rubber on old wiper blades can become hardened with age which may result in lines, droplets, smears, noise and juddering.
- If you have purchased Flat beam/Aero Blades then you may find they are missing a portion of the windscreen when wiping. This is due to the curvature of this particular technology which adds to their benefits however some windscreens may be slightly flatter than others and therefore a gap forms, usually in the centre of the blade. A very good feature of these blades is that they can be moulded slightly to fit different curvatures. By bending them back on themselves you should find this solves your problem as it reduces the curve of the blade meaning they will sit more flush to the screen.
7. How do I clean my wipers?
- When cleaning your wiper blades do not use strong chemicals, household soap, petrol or solvents as these can damage the wipers.
- We recommend using some vinegar diluted with a little water to get the best results. Using newspaper on the windscreen along with the vinegar will get it extra clean and clear.
8. I can't find my car on your wiper finder.
This means we unfortunately don't have the data for your car so we don't know what type of blades you have or what sizes they are. If it is an older model of car which uses the metal framed blades all we would need are the sizes of the blades to determine what you need. If it is the new style flat/Aero blades we will need to investigate to see what is needed. Please contact us with the details of your car and we will be happy to look into it further for you.
9. The wipers I have bought don't fit my car.
This is a situation we work constantly to reduce. We source data from a number of companies which gives us one of the most comprehensive list of wiper applications in the country. However, no data list is 100% accurate and in the odd occasion this can lead to us suggesting the incorrect wiper for your vehicle. However, we do guarantee our results which means we will replace them for the correct blades free of charge for you. Please contact us for more information.
10. Can I return my blades?
Yes, we have a no quibble return policy. Please see our returns page for full details of our company policies.
Wiper Blades by Type
Our complete range of wiper blades sorted by type. These include: